The 22 Best Sweatpants for Women You Won’t Want To Change Out Of
From sporty joggers to lush cashmere pants, we've narrowed down the best sweatpants for women that will have you feeling cozy and looking cute.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
RD.com, Via merchant (3)
Whether you’re working from home, cozying up for a movie night or out and about running errands, sweatpants are a staple in any wardrobe. They aren’t all created equal though. To find the Goldilocks of sweatpants—not too hot, not too cold, just right—we scoured the internet for the best of the best sweatpants for women.
From lightweight joggers to fleece-lined ones to everything in between, we narrowed down our selections to the top-rated sweatpants for women that we love and know you will too. Pair them with warm socks and a matching sweatshirt to create a loungewear set, or head straight to bed and consider them pajamas. These sweatpants are so cozy, you might even give your favorite leggings (and your butt-lifting leggings!) a break.
What is considered a sweatpant?
The name says it all. Sweatpants are thick, comfortable bottoms that are commonly worn to keep legs warm in the cooler months. They’re often made out of cotton, fleece or wool, and usually loose-fitting for optimal relaxation. Pair them with a sweatshirt, then cozy up under a blanket. Winter will be no match for you.
What is the difference between joggers and sweatpants?
Joggers are often categorized with sweatpants—we’ve included several in our list!—though they are generally lighter and more breathable than their thicker, toastier cousin. As their name suggests, joggers are meant for light physical activity, keeping you comfortable for a day of running errands or, yes, while out for a jog. They are often made from cotton, fleece or polyester, and come in a variety of colors and styles.
What makes sweatpants comfy?
We can all agree on one thing: Sweatpants are the most comfortable form of clothing. What makes them enjoyable, though, varies from person to person. Some prefer fitted cotton while others like loungy fleece. As long as you’re warm, cozy and feel confident, that’s all that matters.
What to look for when buying sweatpants for women
As the shopping for sweatpants gets underway, narrow down the options—there are so many!—by asking yourself a few questions. First, how do you intend to wear them? Do you want a relaxed fit for lazy days around the house or a fitted set of joggers you can rock out in public? Then, determine which material is the best match by considering the climate where you live.
A lightweight cotton pair complements mild weather, but perhaps a heavy fleece-lined set to combat Old Man Winter is necessary. Keep an eye on the shape, material, care instructions and (naturally) the price to determine whether a pair of sweatpants is a good fit for both your body and lifestyle.
For as much as we want every pair of sweatpants to be a winner, we’ve all owned ones that proved to be disappointing. Maybe they had pinchy waistbands or sloppy silhouettes. Maybe they fell apart after a few washes or didn’t live up to their extravagant price tag.
To avoid those scenarios, we compiled this list by shopping apparel brands we trust. They have a long history of selling must-have sweatpants and plenty of positive reviews to back them up.
We included a variety of styles, colors and price points—including a couple of pairs that cost less than $25. Once you’ve added your favorites to your online carts, get ready for the coziest autumn and winter of all.
- Best overall sweatpants for women: Outdoor Voices All Day Sweatpant
- Best fleece-lined sweatpants for women: Beyond Yoga WFH Fleece Sweatpant
- Best sweatpants for curvy women: Skims Cozy Knit Pant
- Best fitted sweatpants for women: Brooklinen Boerum Jogger
- Best wool sweatpants for women: Everlane The Cozy-Stretch Wide-Leg Sweatpant
- Best splurge sweatpants for women: Carleen Overdyed Patchwork Sweatpants
- Best size-inclusive sweatpants for women: Girlfriend Collective Bamboo 50/50 Relaxed Fit Jogger
- Best ribbed knit sweatpants for women: Alo Yoga Muse Sweatpant
- Best sweatpants for short women: Lululemon Scuba High-Rise Cropped Jogger
- Best color selection for sweatpants for women: RicherPoorer Women’s Recycled Fleece Classic Sweatpant
- Best workout sweatpants for women: Outdoor Voices RecTrek Pant
- Best athleisure sweatpants for women: Lunya Cozy Cotton Silk Jogger
- Best classic design sweatpants for women: Adidas Essentials Comfort Fleece 3-Stripes Pants
- Best sweatshorts for women: Brunette the Label The Best Friend Short
- Best women’s sweatpants for travel: LILYSILK Casual Cashmere Wide Leg Pants
- Best sweatpants for women on Amazon: FULLSOFT Women’s Joggers
- Best warm sweatpants for women: TKEES The Warm Sport Jogger
- Best value sweatpants for women: Target Wild Fable High-Rise Fleece Sweatpants
- Best pair of Nike sweatpants for women: Nike Sportswear Club Fleece Sweatpants
- Best sweatpants for tall women: Safort Cotton Sweatpants
- Best wide-leg sweatpants for women: Buck Mason Field-Spec Wide Leg Sweatpant
- Best patterned sweatpants for women: Summersalt The Softest French Terry Jogger
Best overall sweatpants for women
Outdoor Voices All Day Sweatpant
Sweatpants aren’t just for the dead of winter. Sometimes there’s nothing better than throwing on lightweight sweats in the summertime. This Outdoor Voices pair is perfect for that. They’re soft, stretchy and a no-brainer to wear all day, whether you’re out grabbing coffee, working from home or taking the dog for a walk.
Outdoor Voices’s CloudKnit fabric is a must-feel. You won’t believe how soft it is, and how you’ve lived this long without a pair (or two) of these mid-rise, drawstring sweatpants.
- Breathable and wrinkle-resistant
- Super soft with a slim fit
- Available in six colors
- Available in sizes from XS-XL
- On the thinner side
Best fleece-lined sweatpants for women
Beyond Yoga WFH Fleece Sweatpant
Your colleagues don’t need to know that you’re wearing these couldn’t-be-more-comfortable fleece sweatpants to your Zoom meetings. (Although who cares if they did?) With an elastic waistband, relaxed fit, side pockets and seriously soft fleece fabric, you’ll likely end each virtual meeting showing them off anyway, insisting that everyone needs a pair.
Beyond Yoga takes the fit of its sweatpants seriously, wear-testing these on its in-house team to ensure a dependable fit for every size. Pair these with its matching Cropped Crew sweatshirt for a must-wear look all winter long.
- Made with cotton-based fleece fabric
- Available in four colors
- Wear-tested on the brand’s in-house team
- Available in sizes from XS-XL
- Some colors and sizes are frequently out of stock
Best sweatpants for curvy women
Skims Cozy Knit Pant
Curvy ladies, rejoice! These knit pants from Skims are cool, soft and available in sizes up to 4X/5X. The stretchy knit fabric molds to your exact shape, showing off your best assets. Plus, the wide waistband ensures it won’t uncomfortably dig in at the sides.
The bouclé yarn adds an upscale feel, so they’re more like chic lounge pants—ones appropriate for answering the door to sign for a package. Once you have the Cozy Knit Pant, something tells us that the full lounge set—complete with Skims’ other Cozy Collection items, like the bralette and tank—is in your future.
- Available in sizes from XXS/XS-4X/5X
- Comes in nine neutral colors
- Pairs with a variety of Skims tops
- Hand-wash only and not dryer-friendly
Best fitted sweatpants for women
Brooklinen Boerum Jogger
Don’t take the term “jogger” too seriously. This lightweight pair, which has the feel of French terry, can be worn around the house, for your weekly Target run or (yes) out on a casual run. If you live in a warmer climate, but crave a pair of easygoing lounge pants, opt for these.
Their effortless fit—which includes three pockets!—makes them a breeze to wear just about anywhere. Note that the Boerum Jogger is form-fitting, so size up for a more relaxed fit.
- Slim fit in six colors
- Undergoes five quality checkpoints
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Available in sizes from XS-XXL
- Fabric can pill
Best wool sweatpants for women
Everlane The Cozy-Stretch Wide-Leg Sweatpant
Never have we ever put “sophisticated” and “sweatpants” in the same sentence, but there’s a first time for everything. Made of a premium blend of responsibly sourced wool, yak, recycled nylon and the slightest touch of spandex, these Everlane sweatpants juxtapose upscale with utter comfort.
Pair this wide-leg option, which are available in a rich camel color or a cool heather charcoal, with a button-down and you can waltz into a board meeting. Or wear them with an oversized sweater for the ultimate fall fashion look.
- Made with wool certified by the Responsible Wool Standard
- Can be dressed up or down
- Super soft, not at all itchy
- Available in two color choices and sizes XXS-XL
- Hand-wash only
Best splurge sweatpants for women
Carleen Overdyed Patchwork Sweatpants
There’s no getting around it: These cotton sweatpants are an investment. Why are they so pricey? There are a few very good reasons.
For one, they’re patched with one-of-a-kind vintage quilt squares, then overdyed with an icy blue color. Plus, the designer, Brooklyn-based Kelsy Parkhouse of Carleen, makes all of her pieces in the U.S. with recycled cotton. And finally, they’re special. The chance of you running into someone with this exact pair is slim.
Pair them with the coordinating sweatshirt, also patched with vintage quilt pieces, for a truly unparalleled loungewear look.
- Unique design for a one-of-a-kind feel
- Patched with vintage quilt squares
- Made in the U.S.A.
- High price point
- Only available up to size large
Best size-inclusive sweatpants for women
Girlfriend Collective Bamboo 50/50 Relaxed Fit Jogger
Whether you’re a size XXXS, 6XL or somewhere in between, hop over to Girlfriend Collective. The brand sells sweatpants that are universally beloved. Our favorite is the 50/50 Relaxed Fit Jogger, which—don’t let the name trick you—veers more towards sweatpants territory with its warm feel.
You can feel good investing in these—they’re made out of recycled cotton scraps found on cutting room floors! The fit is top-notch too, with its mid-rise, tapered leg and adjustable drawstring waistband. When choosing a size, keep in mind that they’re unisex. Now, here comes the hard part: choosing a color. Will it be the sunshine yellow, earthy agave or one of the everyday neutrals?
- Available in sizes XXXS-6XL
- Made with biodegradable fabric
- Available in 10 colors
- Heavy for a jogger—which may be a pro if you value coziness above all else
Best ribbed knit sweatpants for women
Alo Yoga Muse Sweatpant
Where have these Alo Yoga sweatpants been all our lives? Once you treat yourself to a pair, chances are you’ll want it in each color. (They come in four neutrals, as well as two limited-edition pink tones.) The extra-soft ribbed knit adds dimension and texture while the drawstring closure ensures a perfect fit in the waist.
This pick has gathered ankles to make sure no body heat escapes. Pair them with the matching hoodie or any of the loungewear already in your closet. With the goes-with-everything colors and easy silhouette, these sweatpants work well with anything from a simple white t-shirt to an oversized sweater to a turtleneck bodysuit.
- Made with a soft, ribbed knit
- Wear-tested by Alo Yoga’s in-house team
- Pairs with a matching hoodie
- Available in six colors and sizes XXS-L
- Needs to be machine-washed separately
Best sweatpants for short women
Lululemon Scuba High-Rise Cropped Jogger
No more cuffing your sweatpants! Petite shoppers can nab a pair of these cropped joggers from Lululemon instead. With a high rise that sits at the natural waist and cropped length that ends above the ankles—or if you’re particularly short, at your ankles—you’ll never want to wear anything else.
The cotton-blend fleece fabric is both warm and lightweight, so they’re ideal to throw on while on the go in chilly weather.
- Above-the-ankle crop
- Features front pockets and an interior card sleeve
- Drawstring can be worn out or hidden inside
- Available in three colors and sizes 0-20
- Likely too cropped for tall women
Best color selection for sweatpants for women
RicherPoorer Women’s Recycled Fleece Classic Sweatpant
Having a pair of black or gray sweatpants is a must for every wardrobe, but don’t discount the versatility of a standout color. RicherPoorer carries a collection of exceptionally soft sweatpants in a range of cool tones, like vintage overdyed blue, red mahogany and sage. For a full loungy look, add one of the brand’s matching tops to your cart too.
As much as we love the unexpected color, the fit and feel of these sweatpants is what really earns their spot on this list. The gathered elastic waistband and leg openings create a classic shape. The recycled cotton that they’re made from is soft-to-the-touch—and each pair saves approximately 40 plastic bottles from landfills!
- Available in 10 colors and sizes from XS-XL
- Made with recycled materials
- Pairs with matching sweatshirt
- Many reviewers recommend sizing up
Best workout sweatpants for women
Outdoor Voices RecTrek Pant
Working out in sweatpants is not for the faint of heart—or for the easily overheated. This cropped pair from Outdoor Voices is ideal for medium-sweat activities though and has a relaxed fit. Think: hiking on a fall day or running around the park with kiddos.
They’re made with a durable stretch-woven RecTrek that stretches four ways, so they’ll mold to your shape. Walking the dog has never looked so good.
- Deceivingly lightweight with four-way stretch
- Has two zippered front pockets and one back pocket
- Available in six colors and sizes from XS-XL
- May run small
Best athleisure sweatpants for women
Lunya Cozy Cotton Silk Jogger
We place all of our trust in Lunya for any and all pajama and loungewear needs. It’s simply the best when it comes to luxurious fabrics that will last you a lifetime, including this lightweight silk jogger.
Here’s betting these will be the first thing you reach for after a long day in work clothes! They’re designed for a relaxed fit that are still presentable to leave the four walls of your home.
- Relaxed, yet refined, fit
- Made with breathable organic cotton
- Features ribbed trim detailing
- Available in three colors and sizes XS-XL
- Lay flat to dry
- No front pockets, only one back pocket
Best classic design sweatpants for women
Adidas Essentials Comfort Fleece 3-Stripes Pants
If you don’t already own a pair of these classic Adidas pants, it’s time. They’re familiar and look just as trendy today as they did in the ’90s. There’s a reason they have been around for decades and will be a staple in your sweatpants drawer for years to come. They combine cool with cozy, and the three-stripe design is key to elongating the look of anyone’s legs.
- Always in style
- Sporty fit with adjustable waistband
- Made with recycled content
- Available in sizes from 2XS-2XL
- One color option
Best sweatshorts for women
Brunette the Label The Best Friend Short
While sweatshorts go against the primary function of sweats—providing warmth!—they’re all about comfort. When the weather warms up and you’re not ready to let go of your sweatpants, ease into the higher temps with this stylish pair of high-rise sweatshorts from Brunette the Label.
They come in neutrals, including caramel, gray and black, as well as lively colors, like strawberry shortcake and violet, that let you lean into the fun of wearing a pair of sweatshorts. Select your normal size for a relaxed fit, or size up for an oversized look.
- Features a not-too-short inseam
- Comes in neutrals and bold colors
- Available in sizes XS/S-XXL/XXXL
- Not meant to keep you warm
Best women’s sweatpants for travel
Lilysilk Casual Cashmere Wide Leg Pants
Picture it: You’re boarding a transatlantic flight to Santorini, wearing these wide-leg cashmere sweatpants. You feel cozy, warm and polished—a rare combination for a travel outfit. The plane’s freezing temperature won’t bother you, and neither will jeans digging into your waistband.
These Lilysilk cashmere sweatpants are both thin and warm, as well as elegant and casual. Win/win.
- Elegant, breathable design
- Soft-to-the-touch cashmere
- Mid-weight and regular fit
- Available in four colors and sizes S-L
- No pockets
- More in-depth wash and dry routine
Best sweatpants for women on Amazon
Fullsoft Womens Joggers
Take it from us—or take it from the 6,000-plus five-star Amazon ratings—these sweatpants are an easy add-to-cart decision. Not only are they affordable, but they’re lightweight too, which makes them an all-year-round pair of sweatpants. Choose from one of eight colorways, then reach for them day after day, whether you’re headed to yoga, the grocery store or brunch with the ladies.
At just $22, it’s worth getting a couple of pairs—if, for no other reason, than to push off laundry day, since you’re guaranteed to be wearing them often.
- Made of soft polyester
- Available in eight colors and sizes S-2XL
- 9,500 Amazon ratings and a 4.3-star average
- On the thinner side
Best warm sweatpants for women
Tkees The Warm Sport Jogger
Like it or not, winter is coming. If you live in a frigid climate, you’ll need a pair of ultra-warm sweatpants to grab anytime the temperatures dip. This Tkees pair, with ribbed cuffs and a drawstring waistband, is made in Canada, where they’re more than familiar with brutal winters.
They feature a slim fit with a slightly dropped crotch and are tapered at the ankles for a cool menswear-esque shape. The highlight, though, is the brushed cotton fleece, which is your best bet against below-zero temps.
- Fleece interior combats the cold
- Thick material with slim fit
- Fits true to size
- Available in four colors and sizes 0-6
- Not ideal for year-round wear
- Narrow size range
Best value sweatpants for women
Leave it to Target to design a simple and simply must-have pair of sweatpants for women and men—all for $22. This pair of unisex sweatpants are available from XXS to 4X with a relaxed cut that caters to a range of shapes and sizes.
Choose from the four classic neutrals, including beige, navy blue, black and heather gray, or the fun dark orange hue, then consider hiding them from your significant other. At this price point, you might as well get a pair for each of you.
- Available in sizes XXS-4X
- Made with extra-soft fleece
- Extended sizes not available in as many colors
Best pair of Nike sweatpants for women
Nike Sportswear Club Fleece Sweatpants
Nike knows what it’s doing when it comes to sports apparel, sweatpants included. This fleece pair has an oversized fit with a mid-rise waist and are easy to throw on anytime. Come winter, these are especially helpful to wear over a pair of leggings while commuting to the gym or over long underwear when the temperatures dip.
The cinched ankle detail traps body heat in, providing the cozy factor no matter where you are, what you’re doing or how cold it gets.
- Made with Nike’s best-selling fleece
- Comes in short, regular and tall lengths
- Minimalist design with an oversized fit
- Available in six colors and sizes XS-3X
- Size down for a more fitted look
Best sweatpants for tall women
Safort Cotton Sweatpants
Tall women know the pain of a too-short inseam. We’ve found your solution, at least as far as sweatpants are concerned. Meet these cotton sweats, which come with three inseam options: 28, 31 and 34 inches. Finally! You’ll be able to rock sweatpants without showing too much ankle.
There are other reasons to love these though. Take the hidden zipper pocket, for instance, and the moisture-wicking breathable material. Take our word for it, or listen to the 3,200-plus five-star ratings, many from tall women, as proof.
- Three inseam options up to 34 inches
- Affordable price point
- 16 color and pattern options
- 4,800 Amazon ratings and a 4.3-star average
- No lining
Best wide-leg sweatpants for women
Buck Mason Field-Spec Wide Leg Sweatpant
If you’ve learned anything from this list, we hope it’s how many varieties of sweatpants are on the market. There are loose-fitting and lounge-worthy pairs. There are luxurious cashmere ones and lightweight joggers. Then there are these wide-leg sweatpants from Buck Mason, which are in a league of their own.
Chances are you’ll trick just about anyone into thinking these knit cotton jersey sweats, which were inspired by ’60s lounge sets, are trousers. How so? Take your pick of reasons. Maybe it’s the wide-leg design or the long inseam or the thick durable jersey construction.
- Stylish trouser-like, wide-leg silhouette
- Side and back pockets
- Made of 100% cotton
- Available in sizes XS-XXL
- Only available in two colors
Best patterned sweatpants for women
Summersalt The Softest French Terry Jogger
Most sweatpants come in an array of neutrals while some are also available in unexpected colors. Few are printed in fun patterns, but this pair of French terry joggers from Summersalt is. Choose between two sweet embroidered florals or a star design, then add the matching pullover to your cart too. Together, they make for an effortless set you’ll reach for time and time again this winter.
Reviewers rave that they’re buttery soft and retain their chic silhouette even after many wears.
- Comes in three patterns and six colors
- Made with eco-friendly TENCEL fabric
- Can be paired with a matching pullover
- Available in sizes XS-XL
- White floral stitch pattern doesn’t have pockets
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.