100 Good Night Messages Anyone Would Love to Receive
Whether thoughtful, funny, comforting or loving, these good night messages will send your loved ones off to sleep with a smile
rd.com, getty images
Show you care with good night messages
Wishing someone good night sounds so simple, yet it’s one of life’s sweetest gifts. But we can’t always be next to our loved ones to wish them sweet dreams in person. The solution? Good night messages. These little acts of kindness and love can have a big impact on those around us.
Whether thoughtful or funny, sweet or serious, good night messages and good night quotes help our nearest and dearest feel cared for, ensuring they fall asleep with a smile. With that in mind, we’ve rounded up the best good night messages to send everyone in your life, from your sweetheart to your best pal.
Looking for ideas beyond the gems below? You can find inspiration in flirty texts and friendship quotes. And don’t forget to send good morning messages or good morning quotes the next day!
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for humor, cleaning, travel, tech and fun facts all week long.
rd.com, getty images
Good night messages for her
1. I’ve got my favorite pillow, my favorite blanket and my favorite music playing. All I’m missing for a perfect night’s sleep is you.
2. Good night, sweetheart!
3. Sleep well. You are my favorite dream.
4. Rest well, beautiful dreamer.
5. You are the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last thing I think of before I fall asleep.
6. One last kiss [emoji] to send you to sleep.
7. Today was a long day. Tomorrow will be better. Sleep is the bridge between today and tomorrow, so get some good rest.
8. Tomorrow night, I’ll kiss you to sleep. Tonight, I’ll just dream about it.
9. As you fall asleep, know that you light up my life like the stars light up the night.
10. Tonight, I hope your dreams are half as beautiful as you are.
11. Inhale peace, exhale stress, relax and let the anxiety of today go as you drift off to sleep.
12. Rest up, my sleeping beauty! (But don’t, like, prick your finger on anything. I’m bad at figuring out curses.)
13. Napoleon wrote “Let her sleep. For when she wakes, she will shake the world.” Good night to the woman who rocks my world.
14. You’re the woman of my dreams—during both the day and night.
15. Instead of counting sheep to fall asleep, count all the ways I love you. You’ll fall asleep long before you get to the end of the list.
16. If you get cold tonight, I hope you feel the warmth of my love blanketing you.
17. The Beatles may have believed that all you need is love, but they were wrong. All you really need is sleep. Luckily, I get both!
18. There’s a reason they call it “beauty sleep.” And you’re the poster child!
19. Good night and sweet dreams, my darling.
20. Just wanted to let you know I’m thinking about you tonight. Good night—know I love you!
Gratitude is one of the purest forms of love. Thank-you messages are another way to show you care.
rd.com, getty images
Good night messages for him
21. Sweetest of sweet dreams, my love.
22. Falling asleep in your arms is my favorite thing to do, but since we’re apart tonight, I’m imagining your arms around me.
23. Why does the Joker sleep with a night light? Because he hates Dark Knights! Good night, my own superhero.
24. Hurry and go to sleep … so you can dream of me!
25. Good night, my love.
26. I should go to bed, but I can’t sleep until I tell you good night and that I love you!
27. Every night, I say a prayer thanking God that you are in my life. Good night, love.
28. I’m falling asleep looking at the stars and thinking this: You are my guiding star. Good night, my bright light.
29. You are my favorite person to fall asleep with, even if it’s over the phone.
30. You are the love of my life. I’m so glad we get to continue that life together in the morning.
31. I love getting to be the person who tells you good night—tonight and every night!
32. T-minus nine days until we get to say good night in person. I can’t wait!
33. Today was a rough day. Sleep it off and start tomorrow fresh, knowing that I love you.
34. You are my night light, my comfort in the dark.
35. You know how they say couples should never go to bed mad? Honestly, I’d rather get some sleep than stay up and fight. I love you. Let’s talk tomorrow.
36. I hope you’re already sleeping so soundly that you don’t see this message until morning. In which case: Good morning, my love!
37. Good night, my prince charming! And hey, you didn’t even have to climb a rope made out of my hair or slay a dragon to win my love.
38. Good night, handsome!
39. Good night. Sleep tight. I love you with all my might.
40. For so long, I dreamed of meeting a man just like you, and now my dream is real. Sweet dreams to my dream guy.
Don’t forget the birthday wishes on his special day!
rd.com, getty images
Good night messages for friends
41. Hey you! Have a good night!
42. I’m falling asleep with my phone in my hand. So if I text you, I’m just talking in my sleep. Good night!
43. Remember: Sleep is one of the purest forms of self-care, and you deserve to be well cared for!
44. I’d wish you good night, but you’ve always been a pro sleeper … as we learned in high school English class.
45. Why do they say “sleep like a baby”? Have you seen a baby sleep? It’s terrible! They roll all over the place, make noise, cry, wake up every hour and fart. Oh, wait … you do sleep like a baby.
46. Sleep well, my friend. May your dreams be kind and the morning be kinder.
47. Question: Why do we go to bed at night? Answer: Because it certainly isn’t coming to us!
48. They say that if you have someone who wishes you good night every day, you’re happier than most people. So, you’re welcome.
49. Dream tonight of old adventures because tomorrow we make new ones!
50. Good night! Scratch that, great night! Actually, have the best night ever.
51. Sleep well, friend, and know that I always have your back, no matter what.
52. If only we could sleep as well now as we slept through all those 8 a.m. college classes!
53. Why are you still awake? Go to bed!
54. Thanks for being there for me today when I really needed a friend. Sleep well tonight knowing you did a great kindness.
55. I don’t know if I hate or love the person who invented the alarm clock, but I do know I love you—good night!
56. I think I’ve bothered you enough for one day. Get some rest, friend!
57. So sleepy … shutting down in 10, 9, 8, zzz …
58. My motto: Worry less, sleep more.
59. Sleep is the best meditation.
60. “Sleep it off” has a much different meaning at 50 than it did when we were 20.
These funny friendship quotes also make great good night messages!
rd.com, getty images
Good night messages for family
61. Love you! Love him! Love her! Love them! Love all y’all!
62. My prayer is that you will always fall asleep knowing how deeply you are loved.
63. Good night, sleep tight, don’t let the … You know what? Don’t say that last part. With the way our year has been going, don’t even think it.
64. I just want to say, as I lay here counting my blessings, how grateful I am for all of you! Good night, and I love you.
65. When I say “good night,” what I really mean is “don’t wake me up in the middle of it.”
66. Good night. May the stars light the path to dreamland.
67. Why do coyotes howl at night? Because they can see the cacti only during the day. A little laughter is the best way to wind down before bed!
68. Heard you have a big day tomorrow. Wishing you the best night’s sleep so you can be ready!
69. Like Mom always said, a good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures for whatever ails you.
70. Sleep well! But if you get insomnia, I’m just a text away!
71. May angels guard you as you rest.
72. Good night, my loves! Dream of sleep, then sleep to dream!
73. What fish swims only at night? A starfish! Good night, my little fish!
74. Sleep tight, my not-so-little ones!
75. No day is so bad that it can’t be fixed with a good night’s sleep!
76. Everything happens in its time. And right now, it’s bedtime. Good night!
77. May you sleep as peacefully as you once slept in your mother’s arms.
78. Good night! Go to bed, wee sleepyhead!
79. Who needs sleep?! OK, maybe if you want to drive. Or think, talk, work or operate heavy machinery … Yeah, good night!
80. Hey, kiddo. Just know I’m thinking of you as I drift off to sleep tonight. Love you!
Is your loved one struggling with a health problem that makes sleeping difficult? Include one of these get-well wishes.
rd.com, getty images
Good night messages in others’ words
81. “You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming? That’s where I will always love you.” —J.M. Barrie
82. “He that can take rest is greater than he that can take cities.” —Benjamin Franklin
83. “We are such stuff as dreams are made of. And our little life is rounded with a sleep.” —William Shakespeare
84. “As the night gets dark, let your worries fade. Sleep peacefully knowing you’ve done all you can do for the day.” —Roald Dahl
85. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” —Dr. Seuss
86. “I have late-night conversations with the moon. He tells me about the sun; I tell him about you.” —S.L. Gray
87. “Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it is morrow.” —William Shakespeare
88. “Good night, sweet prince, may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.” —William Shakespeare
89. “When you lie down, you will not be afraid. Your sleep will be sweet.” —Proverbs 3:24
90. “Any kid will run an errand for you if you ask it at bedtime.” —Red Skelton
91. “Never waste any time you can spend sleeping.” —Frank H. Knight
92. “There is no sunrise so beautiful that it is worth waking me up to see it.” ―Mindy Kaling
93. “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?” ―Ernest Hemingway
94. “It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it.” —John Steinbeck
95. “A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.” —Charlotte Brontë
96. “Good night now, and rest. Today was a test. You passed it, you’re past it. Now breathe till unstressed.” —Lin-Manuel Miranda
97. “Life is something to do when you can’t get to sleep.” —Fran Lebowitz
98. “Sleep is that golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.” —Thomas Dekker
99. “As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” —Leonardo da Vinci
100. “The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep.” ―W.C. Fields
Looking for more ways to show your loved ones you care? Make them smile with “thinking of you” messages.