36 Teacher Quotes That Inspire a Love of Learning
These teacher quotes truly capture the priceless value of all educators and how their influence can touch lives.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Share these inspirational teacher quotes to show your appreciation for educators
Teachers are essential when it comes to the education of our children. They dedicate their time and resources to ensuring kids get a comprehensive education, along with teaching them how to think critically, ask important questions, and develop skills they’ll use for the rest of their lives. Recent events have shown us how dedicated teachers are to providing the best for their students, whether they’re teaching them in person or remotely. So why not show how much you appreciate their work by sharing one of these teacher quotes?
These uplifting quotes about teachers are perfect for thanking a teacher, or sharing how important education is for everyone. Once you’re done reading (and sharing) them, check out these kids’ quotes, graduation quotes, and leadership quotes for more inspiration.
1. “Education is what survives when what has been learned is forgotten.” —BF Skinner. Don’t forget to read these patience quotes that inspire peaceful persistence.
2. “No one should teach who is not in love with teaching.” —Margaret Elizabeth Sangster. Check out these powerful reasons why teachers love their jobs.
3. “Our task, regarding creativity, is to help children climb their own mountains, as high as possible. No one can do more.” —Loris Malaguzzi. Talk about a hopeful quote!
4. “Good teaching is 1/4 preparation and 3/4 theater.” —Gail Godwin. Sometimes, we need motivation to prepare for the day; here are some great Monday motivation quotes to help you kick the week off right.
5. “What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches.” —Karl Menninger. This is a quote that’s sure to boost confidence.
6. “Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.” —Marian Wright Edelman. Check out these quotes about change that will make you optimistic about the future.
7. “It is greater work to educate a child, in the true and larger sense of the world, than to rule a state.” —William Ellery Channing. Bookmark these strength quotes for future inspiration.
8. “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” —Henry Brooks Adams. Read these be yourself quotes for more motivation.
9. “The test of a good teacher is not how many questions he can ask his pupils that they will answer readily, but how many questions he inspires them to ask him which he finds it hard to answer.” —Alice Wellington Rollins
11. “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” —William A. Ward
12. “Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions.” —Unknown
14. “Education is not to reform students or amuse them or to make them expert technicians. It is to unsettle their minds, widen their horizons, inflame their intellects, teach them to think straight, if possible.” —Robert M. Hutchins.
15. “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” —Albert Einstein. Read more great Albert Einstein quotes that will inspire you to greatness.
16. “The greatest sign of success for a teacher…is to be able to say, ‘The children are now working as if I did not exist.'” —Maria Montessori.
Speaking of amazing teachers, find out why it’s believed that students should bring an apple for the teacher.
17. “Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.” —Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
18. “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn.” —Benjamin Franklin
20. “You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it within himself.” —Galileo Galilei
21. “One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.” —Malala Yousafzai
23. “What we instill in our children will be the foundation upon which they build their future.” —Steve Maraboli
24. “Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible. Learning is making it possible for yourself.” —Paulo Coelho
26. “Our children are only as brilliant as we allow them to be.” —Eric Micha’el Leventhal. Especially when they make us laugh. Don’t miss these hilariously heartwarming classroom stories from real-life teachers.
27. “Proper teaching is recognized with ease. You can know it without fail because it awakens within you that sensation which tells you this is something you have always known.” —Frank Herbert
29. “Teachers have three loves: love of learning, love of learners, and the love of bringing the first two together.” —Scott Hayden
30. “What all good teachers have in common, however, is that they set high standards for their students and do not settle for anything less.” —Marva Collins
32. “Teachers, I believe, are the most responsible and important members of society because their professional efforts affect the fate of the earth.” —Helen Caldicott
33. “The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.” —Mark Van Doren
rd.com, Getty Images
35. “A human being is not attaining his full heights until he is educated.” —Horace Mann
rd.com, Getty Images
36. “To me education is a leading out of what is already there in the pupil’s soul.” —The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Next, check out the best book quotes from our favorite books.