48 Best Bible Riddles You’ll Have Fun Solving
See how well those Sunday school lessons paid off with these entertaining Bible riddles
Calling all you Bible sleuths! If thou hast been challenged by reading the New King James Version, then thy brain hath already warmed up. No matter which version of the Bible you prefer, one thing’s for sure: You’ll love these Bible riddles! And they’re written in modern English so you can breathe a sigh of relief.
So get ready! It’s time to tap into those brain cells and make an Exodus from boring Bible riddles of the past. Unlike one of your favorite scriptures, these Bible riddles for kids aren’t the same yesterday, today and forever. Each of these Bible riddles will challenge your brain to find new Revelations with each one.
Can’t figure one out? O, ye of little faith! Sure, Jesus may have flipped tables a time or two, but don’t go flipping tables yourself if you get stuck on one of these Bible-themed riddles. Your brain will figure it out sooner or later!
RD.com, Getty Images
1. Where could you find Solomon’s temple?
Answer: On the side of his head
2. I led Israelites out of Egypt and went up Mount Sinai alone. I came back down with 10 commandments written on two tablets of stone. Who am I?
3. I was created so Adam wouldn’t be alone. The way that God made me was by using Adam’s rib bone. Who am I?
4. Who do mice pray their wishes to?
5. I am a creature without legs and a tongue that has a fork. What am I?
Answer: A snake
6. What do they call pastors residing in Germany?
Answer: German shepherds
7. On his arc, how many of each animal did Moses bring?
Answer: None, because Moses did not have an arc, Noah did
8. I can look like a T, I can look like an X. I can be found on chains, hung around people’s necks. What am I?
Answer: A cross
9. Which biblical character grew up without parents?
Answer: Joshua, son of Nun (Joshua 1:1)
10. You might see me in the sky, and by a waterfall I’m lower. Some say that I was first seen after a flood by Noah. What am I?
Answer: A rainbow
11. What is the best possible way to study the Bible?
Answer: You Luke into it
12. It kept him steady and others away. It kept them safe and showed the way. Once thrown down upon the ground, it came alive with a hissing sound. It hit the rock as it was told. And that was when the water flowed. What is it?
Answer: Moses’s staff
13. I may seem like a strange mix, but I’m there for all to see. With parents, shepherds and kings, some animals and a baby. What am I?
Answer: Nativity scene
14. Who was awarded as the fastest runner in the race?
Answer: Adam, because he was first in the human race
Bible riddles for kids
RD.com, Getty Images
15. In the desert I found, hotter than the sand on the ground, a strange sight to him that was tending a flock. He couldn’t believe I can talk. What am I?
Answer: The burning bush
16. It was a gift to the one but poison to the others. It was a favored sign but also a hated symbol. Some say that it was not short. While others talk of two that were far too long. It was stolen and then torn, and became something to mourn. What is it?
Answer: Joseph’s coat
17. Instead of going to Nineveh, I decided to bail. Thrown overboard while out to sea, I was swallowed up by a whale. Who am I?
18. It had so many locks that don’t need a key. It was far too many for you to count. It was never to be shortened, for a vow had been said. It was a symbol of strength that flowed from the head. But in a moment of weakness, its secret was out, it lays all in pieces when she gave the shout. What is it?
Answer: Samson’s long hair
19. I loved God with all my heart and soul. I am a hero of faith that will stand the test of time as one of God’s beloved. After all I went through, my faith and convictions remained unchanged. Who am I?
20. I am the book from the Bible from which many people derived the phrase “Lamb for slaughter.” What book is this?
21. I am something you might read when you’re sitting in a pew. I contain two testaments: one that’s old and one that’s new. What am I?
Answer: The Bible
22. It was high in the sky but also firmly on the Earth. It brought cooperation for many but confusion for all. It was unmissable by the crowd yet overlooked by the One. It was the world’s first true skyscraper and also its last. What is it?
Answer: The Tower of Babel
23. It can be carried but not touched. It has two on the outside and ten on the inside. Everyone wants to catch a sight of this, but it’s kept out of sight. It was lost and found; then found but now it’s lost. What is it?
Answer: Ark of the Covenant
24. I was known for my diverse skills as both a warrior and a writer of psalms. In my years as a ruler, I united the people of Israel, led them to victory in battle, conquered land and paved the way for my son, Solomon, to build the Temple. Who am I?
25. This has been divided three times because of what God decided. It became the threshold of many new things and the limit for many things. Once an ark was in its place and God’s son I chose to embrace. What is it?
Answer: Jordan River
26. I am the man who went one day on top of a Joppa house to pray. And while I waited for my meat, I dreamed I saw a great big sheet. Let down from heaven and inside, fowls and creeping things did ride. The one who prayed was told to eat, for God had cleansed this “common” meat. Who am I?
27. When I was tasked with what seemed impossible, I didn’t just refuse and frown. I marched the people round Jericho and the walls came tumbling down. Who am I?
28. I am more than a double triangle. I intertwine both the external and internal dimensions of God, Israel and the Torah. What am I?
Answer: The Star of David
29. He was the king who was encouraged by the queen when he was greatly troubled by writing on the wall. Who is he?
30. I chose to climb a sycamore tree to see Jesus and invited him to come to my house, even though other people sneered at me. Who am I?
Bible brain teasers
RD.com, Getty Images
31. What kind of lighting did Noah use on his ark?
Answer: Flood lights
32. Did Eve ever have a date with Adam?
Answer: No, just an apple
33. How long did Cain despise his brother?
Answer: As long as he was Abel
34. What is a shark’s most favorite bible story?
Answer: Noah’s shark
35. How does Moses make his coffee every morning?
Answer: Hebrews it
36. Who was considered the smartest man in the Bible?
Answer: Abraham, because he knew a Lot
37. What’s the reason Jonah didn’t trust the ocean?
Answer: He knew there was something fishy about it
38. Noah doesn’t trust what kind of animal?
Answer: A cheetah!
39. Who was the Bible’s greatest comedian?
Answer: Samson, because he brought the house down!
40. On the day before Christmas, what did Adam say?
Answer: It’s Christmas, Eve!
41. Where did the first baseball game in the Bible happen?
Answer: In the big inning
42. How come they didn’t play cards on the Ark?
Answer: Because Noah was standing on the deck
43. Where did the Bible’s most talkative people live?
Answer: Babylon (babble on)
44. Which group of sharks do you typically find in heaven?
Answer: Angel sharks
45. What is the funny thing about forbidden fruits?
Answer: They create many jams
46. Where in the Bible is the first mention of a tennis match?
Answer: When Joseph served in Pharaoh’s court
47. Noah most likely got milk from the cows on the ark. What did he get from the ducks?
48. Before Boaz became married, what kind of guy was he?
Why trust us
Reader’s Digest is known for our humor and brain games, including quizzes, puzzles, riddles, word games, trivia, math, pattern and logic puzzles, guessing games, crosswords, rebus, hidden objects and spot-the-difference challenges. We’ve earned prestigious ASME awards for our entertainment content and have produced dozens of brain-teaser books, including Word Searches, Word Power, Use Your Words, Fun Puzzles and Brain Ticklers, Mind Stretchers, Ultimate Christmas Puzzles and more. Our 10 published volumes of Mind Stretchers were edited by Allen D. Bragdon, founder of The Brainwaves Center and editor of Games magazine. Read more about our team, our contributors and our editorial policies.