50 Thanksgiving Riddles the Whole Family Will Love
Kids and adults alike will gobble these Thanksgiving riddles right up!
Thanksgiving is a time for good food with family and friends, but what comes at the end of Thanksgiving? The letter “g”…and a whole lot of downtime, which is why it’s the perfect time to entertain everyone with a handful of Thanksgiving riddles for all ages.
If you’ve got a sharp mind and a witty sense of humor, get ready to gobble up this collection of Thanksgiving riddles that the whole family will enjoy. They vary in difficulty from easy riddles to hard riddles, and we’ve even included some interesting Thanksgiving trivia ones that you can share with others!
So whether you’re sitting around the dining table and talking or lying on the couch in a food coma, take a moment to share some of these Thanksgiving riddles with the people you love most. We’re betting they’ll eat them up—if they’re not too stuffed and sleepy after the big feast, that is. Once you’re tried your hand at these, get ready for Christmas riddles.
Thanksgiving riddles for kids
1. The annual tradition each and every Thanksgiving Day is watching the great team sport the Lions and Cowboys play. What is it?
Answer: A football
2. It has ears but it cannot hear and it has flakes but it has no hair. What is it?
3. What smells the best every Thanksgiving dinner?
Answer: Your nose!
4. Most people eat me, and that is no surprise. I taste great as chips and also as fries. What am I?
Answer: A potato.
5. Why didn’t the Pilgrims tell each other their secrets in the cornfield?
Answer: Because the corn had ears.
Don’t forget to bookmark these funny Thanksgiving quotes to share around the table this year.
6. It’s something I spy with my little eye. I’m an orange squash that is baked in a pie. What am I?
Answer: A pumpkin.
7. Why is it that the turkey didn’t finish its dessert?
Answer: Because it was already stuffed.
8. This key has legs, but can’t open a door. What is it?
9. What is Dracula’s all-time favorite holiday?
10. Which of the Thanksgiving beverages is considered to be sad?
Answer: Apple sigh-der.
11. Where did the Pilgrims stand when they landed?
Answer: On their feet!
rd.com, Getty Images
12. If you like sweet side dishes, then I will make you a happy fellow as I have sweet potatoes as well as sugar and marshmallow. What am I?
Answer: Candied yams.
13. There’s lots of this at Thanksgiving but you don’t want it to be wasted because its meat’s really juicy, just so long as it has been basted. What is it?
14. What is the most favorite sport of pumpkins and gourds?
15. Why did the turkey decide to cross the road?
Answer: To prove that he wasn’t a chicken!
16. What is brown, big, and red all over?
Answer: A turkey with a scoop of cranberry sauce.
17. Why did the pilgrim cross the road?
Answer: Because he was actually chasing the turkey!
18. You see this festive event along the street on this very special day, from Felix to Mickey to Dora and Bugs Bunny, all of the people will make way. What is it?
Answer: The Thanksgiving Day Parade.
19. It’s eaten at Thanksgiving as part of the main course. It gets added to your plate in the form of a sauce. What is it?
20. If you want to picture fall, then my image would be best. I am a horn that is filled with all the season’s harvest. What am I?
How many of these “What am I?” riddles can you answer correctly?
21. What will you get if you cross a turkey and a monkey?
Answer: A banana that gobbles.
22. Which side of the turkey has the most feathers?
Answer: The outside.
23. Is it possible for a turkey to fly higher than an ostrich?
Answer: Yes, because ostriches don’t fly.
rd.com, Getty Images
24. We sailed across from Europe so we’d have the freedom to worship our God. Once we’d overcome many obstacles, we finally reached dry land at Cape Cod. Who are we?
Answer: The pilgrims
25. What do the Pilgrims, the Indians, and the Puritans all have in common?
Answer: The letter “I.”
Thanksgiving riddles for adults
26. Where do turkeys go if they want to dance?
Answer: The Butter Ball.
27. What is the main difference between Thanksgiving and April Fools’ Day?Answer: On one, you are thankful and on the other, you are prankful.
28. Which hand should you butter your roll with during the Thanksgiving dinner?
Answer: Neither. You should use a knife!
29. What is the name of the cranberry that isn’t happy?
30. What do May flowers bring if April showers bring May flowers?
Psst…these long riddles are guaranteed to give your brain a workout.
31. What’s always in the middle of the table every Thanksgiving?
Answer: The letter “B.”
32. What genre of music did Pilgrims like best?
Answer: Plymouth rock.
33. How did the chicken, the pheasant, turkey, duck, and goose get into deep trouble?
Answer: It’s because of their fowl language.
34. Why is Johnny always getting low grades every Thanksgiving?
Answer: Because everything is marked down after the holidays.
35. What has feathers, a beak, and is dressed?
Answer: A Thanksgiving turkey.
rd.com, Getty Images
36. It is a kitchen appliance but it is not trying to boast. In November at Thanksgiving, your delicious turkey is what it roasts. What is it?
Answer: An oven
37. What’s blue and covered with lots of feathers?
Answer: A turkey holding its breath.
38. Grandma and Grandpa had a total of six children. Each of those children grew up and had four children of their own. Those children grew up and had two children each. Everyone will join the Thanksgiving dinner at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. How many people will be at the table?
Answer: 80 people.
39. You reap what you sow because of this, remove the first three letters, and it becomes an object you can wear. What is it?
40. Why was the Plymouth Rock that brave?
Answer: It’s because it was a little bold-er.
Think you’re a smart cookie? Test your knowledge with these math riddles.
41. How would you be able to call a pet squash?
Answer: Call it anything you want because it won’t hear you!
42. Where do turkeys come from if apples and pears come from a tree?
Answer: The poul-tree.
43. Why don’t you like eating fish on Thanksgiving?
Answer: It’s because Thanksgiving Day never falls on a Fry-Day.
44. If you will be carving the turkey with an electric cutter, what kind of battery will it need when it runs out of power?
Answer: None. Because it’s electric-powered.
Speaking of batteries, here is your answer if you’ve ever wondered why you don’t see B batteries.
45. What are you going to get if you breed a turkey with an octopus?
Answer: Eight feather dusters.
rd.com, Getty Images
46. It’s a flower, but it doesn’t bloom; it sounds like a month and float over water. What is it?
47. Why did mom put the leftover turkey in the fridge instead of throwing it away?
Answer: Because she didn’t want it to go to waist.
48. What’s something you can never eat at Thanksgiving dinner?
Answer: Thanksgiving breakfast and lunch.
49. Why did the Pilgrim decide to eat the candle?
Answer: Because he wanted a light snack.
50. If you cross a key with a fowl, you get a turkey. What would you get if you cross a turkey with fire?
Answer: A roasted turkey!
Next, see how many of these short riddles you can answer correctly.