The Best April Fools’ Day Office Pranks Anyone Can Pull Off
You don’t have to be the office jokester to partake in these funny office April Fools’ pranks that will leave a lasting impression.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Office April Fools’ pranks
Office April Fools’ pranks can be a tough line to walk. The best office pranks are ones that (obviously) won’t get you fired, or even close to it; but at the same time, you still want something that makes people laugh enough or confuses people enough to merit “prank” status, and not fall flat. Straight from our humor editor, here are nine of our favorite funny office pranks to try this April Fools’ Day. (Of course, the appropriateness of these office pranks will depend on the atmosphere at your workplace—you may be better off telling April Fools’ Day jokes in the break room.) If your parents are better sports about April Fools’ pranks than your coworkers, maybe opt for these funny pranks to play on your parents, or funny text pranks instead.
Jamie Grill/Getty Images
Office prank #1: Gone fishing
This is the best office April Fools’ prank because it’ll make someone’s day! Who wouldn’t want to open a boring old filing cabinet and find it filled with colorful fish? Here’s what you do:
1. Remove the files from a frequently used filing cabinet.
2. Line the drawer with a thick-ish plastic lining.
3. Fill it with water and place goldfish in the bag. If that’s too messy, place a small tank filled with fish in the drawer.
4. Close the drawer and wait for your colleague to find his new office pets. Or, for something with a little less effort, try one of these April Fools’ Day pranks you can pull off on Facebook.
Office prank #2: “I hear voices”
“Do you hear something?” “No, I don’t hear anything.” “You sure?” “Yeah, I’m sure.” Liar! You hear something—a radio playing. And you know you hear it because you’re the one who set this trick up! This is the best office prank for people who believe in ghosts. And here’s how to do it:
1. Find a small radio, set it to a station guaranteed to irk any sane person, then put the volume on low.
2. Remove a ceiling tile from above your victim’s desk.
3. Hide the radio inside, then replace the tile.
4. Keep denying that you hear any noise. “No, I still don’t hear anything. You sure you’re okay?”
Office prank #3: Sound the horns!
With most office April Fools’ pranks, you have to hover nearby to know when someone’s been victimized. But with air horns, you’ll definitely know when someone’s been punked. This is the best prank for offices that are always quiet. It’s also the perfect trick to pull on someone who has the office that should have been yours:
1. Remove the office door bumper.
2. Replace it with an airhorn. Make sure the airhorn knob is situated where the door will hit it.
3. Shut the door, ensuring your victim will open it.
4. Cover your ears when you spot your victim about to throw open his or her door.
Office prank #4: You look marvelous in that outfit. And that outfit. And that outfit.
This April Fools’ prank for work is perfect if you’re a fashionista. Mess with a coworker’s head by bringing in multiple outfits and changing your clothes every 30 minutes or so. When they ask what’s up, give them one of those, What’s wrong with you? looks. Then, change your outfit again. Back at home, chose which of these funny April Fools’ pranks to play on your kids.
Office prank #5: I believe these are yours?
It started when we were kids—that dreaded fear of one’s underwear being exposed. Here’s how to exploit the anxiety with funny office pranks: Find a pair of old granny bloomers. Tear a few holes and muss ’em up a bit. Write your coworker’s name in them. Leave on the bathroom floor. This is the best office prank for coworkers who don’t get embarrassed easily.
Office prank #6: Oh! Reo
One of the best parts of working in an office is the treats that coworkers bring in. This is the best office prank for workplaces where food is always in the kitchen.
1. Buy a pack of Oreos, then carefully twist the halves apart and scrape off the creamy inside.
2. Eat the creamy inside yourself (optional, but highly recommended).
3. Squirt a dab of mint toothpaste on one half and place the other half over it.
4. Leave a tray of cookies where everyone will see it.
After your office pals fall for the prank, make a peace offering by sharing these funny April Fools’ Day memes.
Office prank #7: Ghost typing
Here’s a fun way to slowly drive the guy or gal in the next cubicle insane. It’s an especially funny office prank for people who say they don’t believe in ghosts. Write or rewrite whatever they’re working on without them knowing who’s doing it. Here’s what you do:
1. Thread your keyboard wire under the cubicle wall.
2. Plug it into the victim’s computer tower.
3. When you hear them type, that’s your cue to type, too.
4. Keep it simple at first—one keystroke or so, making them backspace and delete a few times. Then go for it.
Bonus points if you set up specific keyboard shortcuts to really mess with them.
Office prank #8: The upside-down glass of water trick
This is the April Fools’ prank for work that could get messy, so beware. Here’s what you do:
1. Fill a glass with water.
2. Place a thin piece of cardboard over the lip of the glass.
3. Holding the cardboard tightly over the glass, turn it over and quickly place the upside-down glass in the middle of your victim’s desk.
4. Carefully slide out the cardboard to remove it. Be a nice prankster and move paper and valuables out of harm’s way.
5. Watch your victim figure out how to turn the glass over without causing a tsunami.
Just make sure this prank doesn’t end up like these April Fools’ pranks that went terribly wrong.
Office prank #9: I’m waiting…
This one may be the cruelest trick of all: Don’t pull off any office April Fools’ pranks. Instead, leave cryptic notes warning that the big one is coming. Every so often, cast a furtive eye toward your victim, smirk ever-so-slightly, then continue with your work. It’ll drive them nuts! At the end of the day, you can tell them they’ve been fooled. Then, take a break and laugh over these funny work cartoons that will get you through the week.