The Sweetest, Funniest Things to Write in a Father’s Day Card This Year
Want to make your dad tear up—from laughter or love? These sentiments are the perfect way to let him know you love him this year (and every year).
Dads deserve just as much love and attention on Father’s Day as moms do on Mother’s Day. One way you can show the father or father figures in your life how much they mean to you is with a handwritten card. Picking out the perfect card is the first step. (We’ll make things easy for you: Here are the best free printable Father’s Day cards!) But you can’t leave it with just the preprinted message. Seriously, you can’t. Make it personal and meaningful by adding a sweet, funny, or heartfelt note.
Of course, it’s not always (or ever) easy to know what to write in a Father’s Day card. Get your creative juices flowing with these ideas:
- A funny memory of him
- One of your favorite experiences with him
- The qualities you love most about him
- Something he taught you that you still remember
- His favorite hobby, activity, or movie franchise
- Your unique relationship with him: birth or adoptive father, stepfather, son, grandfather, brother, friend, mentor, or husband
Then build on these thoughts. Get some extra inspiration from these Father’s Day quotes, and don’t forget to add a gift from our Father’s Day gift guide or a personalized Father’s Day gift that’s tailor-made for him.
Keep in mind that some relationships with fathers are complicated and it’s OK to acknowledge that. You don’t have to be gushing, go over-the-top, or say things you aren’t comfortable with. Focus on the positive things about your dad, be honest and kind, and write from your heart. Need a little extra help figuring out what to write in that Father’s Day card? Fill out the message with one of the following specially crafted thoughts.
rd.com, Getty Images
There’s nothing like a father’s love
- There’s a reason you’re in all my favorite memories.
- You are my dad but also my best friend, and I love that you can be both.
- I adored you as a child, love you as an adult, and admire you always.
- Someday I hope to be a dad just like you.
- I don’t know how I’d make it through this world without you.
- You aren’t just big and strong on the outside—you have the biggest heart, too!
- There is nothing you can’t fix for me, including a bad day.
RELATED: Father’s Day Gift Basket Ideas
Say thank you
- Thank you for being there for me every day, in every way.
- Thanks for allowing me the freedom to fly and the safety to catch me when I fall.
- My support. My protector. My confidant. My cheerleader. My dad. Thank you for all the roles you play in my life.
- I’ll always be grateful for everything you did for me growing up and now.
- Thanks for setting the example of what a good father and a great man is really like.
- Thank you for going above and beyond to make sure we are happy, healthy, and safe.
- Thank you for doing all those little things you think no one notices (but we do!).
RELATED: Homemade Father’s Day Gifts
rd.com, Getty Images
Make him snort his drink out of his nose
- Thanks to the man who taught me how to not just read but also burp the alphabet.
- Thanks for sacrificing all your hair for me!
- Happy Father’s Day to one of my favorite parents.
- Happy Father’s Day! Love, your favorite child.
- Here’s a card instead of that awkward back-thumping hug we usually do. You’re welcome.
- Someday I hope to be as funny as you think you are.
- So grateful for you! Who else will change my oil, listen to my boring stories, and then take me to get a sandwich?
- You’re the greatest thing since sliced bread—and as old, too!
Happy pun day this Sunday!
- Dad, I donut know what I’d do without you in my life!
- I love you beer-y much! (Attached to a bottle of his favorite brew, naturally.)
- A toast to my dad: I loaf you bready much!
- You’re a fungi and take up so mushroom in my heart.
- This is not a drill: You are the best dad I ever saw. Not to hammer the point home, but you nailed fatherhood.
- Not tryna be cheesy, but you are nacho ordinary dad.
RELATED: Last-Minute Father’s Day Gifts
rd.com, Getty Images
Life lessons from dad
- Thank you for the knowledge of how to be a leader and a helper and the wisdom to know when to play each role.
- You taught me not just how to bring home the bacon but also how to season it and smoke it on the grill for the best flavor.
- Even when I can’t come home, you know how to make me feel at home.
- You’re not just someone I love—you’re also someone I respect and admire.
- Smart, strong, funny, talented, kind: You are everything I want to be. You are my hero.
RELATED: The Best Stepdad Father’s Day Gifts
What to write in a Father’s Day card to other fathers (stepdads, grandfathers, sons, husbands, brothers, mentors, etc.)
- You really put the “grand” in “grandfather.”
- Thanks for being there for me when no one else was.
- I’m so proud of the boy you were then, the man you are now, and the father you are becoming.
- I always said you’d be a great dad and you proved me right. (I’m always right.)
- A dad is someone who loves, supports, and lifts a child, no DNA link required.
- You showed me the true meaning of fatherhood, and I will always cherish that.
- Thanks for stepping up and being my stepdad.
- Father is a role, not a title, that must be earned. You earned it!